Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?

Response: A couple of months ago I wanted to convince my parents to let me go to a concert on a random school night. I tried persuading them by saying how cheap the tickets were and how easy it'd be to get to the venue and back. However, I found pathos to be most effective in this case. I complained about how stressed I had been with it being exam season and how I hadn't had much time to relax. They gave in after I played up how much the stress was getting to me, and I got my concert trip. 

Summary: Today in class we went over ethos, paths, and logos and shared the meanings behind our names. 

Reflection: The presentations from others showed me how much value different things in our lives really hold. I had never thought about it before because my name doesn't have a personal story, but it was really interesting to hear how much it meant to others, showing how two people can have the same thing and cherish it drastically differently. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.

How has living in or around Atlanta influenced the way you see your community, culture, or identity? If you were speaking to someone unfamiliar with Atlanta, what would you want them to understand about your community?

What is the most creative thing you have ever made? Share what it was and explain why it stands out as your best work.